Monday, April 5, 2010

Creating Whole Wheat Bread, One Loaf at a Time

According to Wikipedia, whole wheat flour is summed in these few simple words:  Whole wheat flour is a powdery substance derived by grinding or mashing the wheat's whole grain. It is used in baking.

Pretty straight-forward, and very very sanitized!  Whole wheat bread baking is an art.  It is a slow and romantic experience.  I love to bake bread and mine is about as wholesome as it gets.  It's not just a powdery substance derived by grinding or mashing the wheat's whole grain.

I start out with the whole grain -- organically grown, hard winter wheat.  I put it through my grinder.  It's a trusty electric model. But I do have a hand grinder when I feel the urge to get really earthy. It's terribly hard work so I don't get urges that often.

Next come the wheat berries that I sprouted myself, the poppy seeds (no UA's for you today!), sesame seeds, and flax seed.  Add some delicious local honey, water, yeast and a tad of salt and oil.  That's it.

Now begins the dance.  The bread dough and you become one.  This is the time that is so precious.  Getting into a rhythm with the kneading, you can let yourself go and begin a meditation of sorts.  Pray, ponder, dream, actually feel the dough change under your hands.  Awesome.  But where is that "powdery substance derived by grinding....."   It is gone forever.  What I have created is a deliciously perfect dough ready for rising.

Once the rise is done, I pop the loaf into the oven. Yes,  I make one loaf at a time because it just tastes better.  Out it comes 40 minutes later.  It's a labor of love and a work of art.  Grab the butter and a knife and enjoy.

So when some scientist tells us that whole wheat flour is just a "powdery substance derived by grinding...yada yada"  remember my bread.  Baked One Loaf at a Time.

Remember to Pay it Forward,
Jill

No comments: