Saturday, March 20, 2010

In the Middle of the Night

I have recently started having bouts of insomnia.  It's something actually that can be quite enjoyable.  Quiet time.  Alone time.  Time to craft.  Time to think.

While I'm in this place of solitude with my husband just a closed door away, I have the freedom to be quiet and hear that inner voice that so many times is lost in the rumble of daily life.  Machines, appliances, other people talking, music -- you know the drill.  The sounds of life.  Most times I say "Acck!"  It's just too much for me.  That's one reason why Randy and I killed the television.  Too much noise.  I prefer quiet than sound most of the time. 

So in my quiet time when most of the city is asleep, I get to think of all kinds of wonderful things.  Sometimes not so wonderful but I try to push those out of my mind.   I think about redecorating, I think about the next best loaf of bread I'll bake, I think about the next best basket I'll weave or the most bestest piece of jewelry ever.  But I also think about serious stuff too.  Faith.

Faith in whom?  The everlasting question.  Yes, I believe there is a God.  Yes, I believe in Christ as my Savior.  But then what?  I was listening to a Billy Joel song tonight -- "River of Dreams" and in it he sings of "mountains of faith and rivers so deep."  "I've been searching for something in the middle of the night.  I must be lookin' for something  -- Something sacred I lost"


Ahhh..."in the middle of the night."  That's where I come in at 2:00 am.  I believe (this is the Quaker in me) that if I have the ability to quiet my soul and find the stillness within, I can find more out about "and then what?"

I had to listen to the song several times before it all started clicking together like a tumbler on a safe but then the numbers all lined up for me.  I hope you enjoy the song -- it's posted below.

I know this is an unfinished blog entry but I'm still "searching for something in the middle of the night."



Don't forget to pay it forward....Jill

No comments: