Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Oh Boy -- Chocolate IS Really Good for You!

I saw this wonderful article on the internet and thought I would share it with you.  After all it's about chocolate!  And now they are saying it's good for you.  There's that "they" again....so many of "they's" out there, isn't there??? 

Anyway, now they believe chocolate can help with tension.  I don't know about you but sometimes I'm so stressed and tense I could break a pencil between my teeth....sounds like time for chocolate!!

Not only is chocolate good for you in your tense times (in moderation, yeh, yeh, whatever!), there are a number of of other tasty items that also help with tension.

Dark Chocolate:    High in flavonoids, which are great for relaxing the system.   Chocolate also contains phenethylamine, a chemical that enhances your mood.   I think that's why we get chocolate on Valentine's Day -- hmmm???  The darker the chocolate, the more healthy substances you're getting in your diet, so look for bars that are 70%  cacao or higher.  Personal note:  Don't go higher than 70% as it's almost like eating baking chocolate (pa-tooey!)
 
Oatmeal:    A warming little bowl of oatmeal in the morning.  What could be more comforting.  But did you know in that little bowl of carbs, you get serotonin, an agent which is a calming hormone that helps fight anxiety.  Of course, oatmeal is high in fiber, which means that your body will absorb it slowly.  I always knew I loved the Quaker guy -- now I know why!


Walnuts:  (Really????)    They've been shown to help lower blood pressure, which is very important for us who work overtime and get all stressed out.  The US Food and Drug Admin. actually recommends 1 1/2 ozs a day.  Wow!
So where's my Snicker Bar, my cup of Chamomile tea and my steaming bowl of oatmeal???

Don't forget:  Pay it Forward,  Jill

No comments: