Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What Were They Thinking?

I guess I should mention is that Randy and I killed our TV. Ripped it out by its cable roots and threw it out the window as far as we could. Well, actually, we decided we JUST did not want to have that horrible beast in our home any longer and gave it to a charity.

I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it is in our home to be TV-less. It is sort of like when friends come to visit and they just won't leave??? Well, that's how it feels with that darn TV blasting away 12 hours a day. Just horrible. But when it finally left, we actually sighed a sigh of relief! Now we talk...OMG...Talk??? Yep. We play Scrabble together, we put jig saw puzzles together which is really fun. we cook dinner together, which often used to be a "Jill Job" while Randy watched Cash Cab. We are very happy about our move towards more simplicity.

Except when the Academy Awards come around. I don't really miss or like much on TV...I could take the content or leave it be. But there is something about watching all those stars arriving for Oscar night that just sends me! All those dresses. Some of the outfits were absolutely beautiful and the ladies looked like a million bucks. Then there is the category: "What were they thinking?" Some of these dresses looked like the designer had taken colored toilet paper and just started wrapping. You may or may not know this but many years ago the big thing at the Oscars was lots and lots of cleavage. It was quite something to see, I must say. Even these poor young girls who had nothing to show had their dresses cut down to their wastes....YIKES!!

Here's a quick wrap-up of some of the Oscar dresses....the Good, Bad and Ugly:



While I realize I'm missing really good Public Broadcasting programs and Bones....I think I can give them up for other stuff that might come pouring from the roots of my old television! --Jill

No comments: